[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

RE: Malfunctioning MOT

Original poster: "Mark W. Stolz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mark_w_stolz-at-hotmail-dot-com>

>Original poster: "Tim J by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" 
>Never, EVER measure the output of an MOT with a multimeter!! You will
>destroy your meter and end up KILLING yourself in the process! Many MOT's
>run 2400 VAC at 500mA+....some of the bigger Industrial MOT's can output
>2500 VAC at 980mA - 1 AMP short curcuit!

This is the second post that I've seen say you'll kill your multimeter.  
Some of us use Simpson 260's or equivalent which have 6kV ranges, so the MOT 
would not kill the meter.

The electrocution possiblity is very real however.  Be safe and take your 
measurements with hands off!

Mark Stolz
Houston, TX