Re: NST

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Mccauley, Daniel H by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <daniel.h.mccauley-at-lmco-dot-com>

 > I can assure you the output may be quite spectacular (even if for a brief
 > instant) if you parallel a 9kV and 15kV
 > transformer.
 >
 > Dan
 >
 > Hello,
 >
 > I recently killed my 12/60 NST whent running it without my protection
 > circut. I called up some local sign shops, and one guy wants $70(USD) for a
 > 12/60. Some other places are selling a 9/30 and a 15/30 for a lot cheaper.
 > I was wondering if i could paralel the 9/30 and 15/30, and if I can, what
 > will the output be?
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Robert

	I can see no damage resulting from paralleling transformers this wave.
I've paralleled a 9 kV 60 ma and a 12 kV 60 ma transformer with no
problem.  Under no load conditions the output voltage will be about 10
kv (not 10.5, as the leakage reactance of the 9 kV transformer is less
than that of the 12 kV one), and current will flow from the 12 kV
transformer into the 9 kV.  If you short circuit the output the current
will be the sum of the short circuit current of the two transformers.
Operating into a finite load will be OK, with the higher voltage
transformer providing all of the load current when the output voltage is
greater than 9 kV, and the load being shared between the two
transformers at lower output voltages.

Ed