Re: Ed Wingate Tesla Coil Movie

Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Ed,

 > Hi Mark, Terry
 >
 > The coil will break out easily without the "director", but the
 > sparks
 > don't always go where I want them to. I almost always use a
 > director
 > on my large coils. There are a lot of transmission line
 > strikes if I
 > don't use a director on the magnifier.
 >
 > Kudos! Great job on the video Terry! I really like it and
 > can't wait
 > to see what you do with the magnifier footage.
 >
 > Ed Wingate RATCB

Firstly, great coil. I love your work - it has a very cool "old
school" feel to it. It's a nice example of how a short, stubby coil
with a small tank cap and high breakrate can perform. Anyways, I was
wondering if the breakout point causes any obvious decrease in
performance (spark intensity, length, etc). Richard Hull used to go
on about how bad breakout points were, and suggested the use of small
foil bumps. These have a low ROC, and can therefore still withold a
high voltage before breakout, but still upset the field enough to
premote breakout from that point. Just curious.

BTW, Your maggie and twin systems must be getting pretty old. I
remember seeing a video of a teslathon at your place in the early 90s
that had both those coils. Very Impressive to say the least. Don't
know exactly how I got hold of that video in Australia. Hopefully one
day I can go to the US and see them in person. The video also had a
large VTTC and wimshurst machine as I remember, I think.

Cheers,

Greg.