Re: flat coil ?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Chris,

You can estimate the wire length and outer diameter of the spiral coil
as follows:
 Let:
  Starting diameter = Do  ("inside" diameter)
  Number of Turns   = N
  Wire Diameter     = Dw

 Then:
  Total Length of wire  = Pi[(N+1)*D + Dw*(N^2 + N)]
  Outer spiral Diameter = Do+(2*N*Dw)

Plugging in Do = 0, N = 500, and Dw = 1.6mm and converting units, I end
up with a coil about 5.25 feet in diameter, requiring over 4100 feet of
wire.

Working backwards, a 4 foot diameter coil would require about 381 turns
and 2400 feet of wire.

Hope this helps!

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Chris Swinson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <exxos-at-cps-games.co.uk>