Re: varnish with guts ?

CHRIS: I DONT KNOW IF YOUR IDEA WILL WORK FOR TESLA COILS. I have made free
standing coils for use at lower voltage projects. I use fiberglass resin not
varnish. Is works very well.You must use some form of mold release to
prevent the coil sticking to your mold form. I have used a few wraps of LDPE
plastic as mold release, and pealed it off after it hardens. If the resin is
to thick you can thin it a little with acetone. Dont use more than 1/8 as
much as resin. It will make the resin harden slower.
    I question the project because of racing arc inside the coil. I dont
know if this will be a problem, but I am questioning that problem. I havent
used free standing coils for TC use. I have used many different coil shapes
for other uses. If racing sparks is not a problem this should work.
   Just note of consumption, each batch will cost you one brush and one
resin mixing container so have a few spairs. Protect what ever uou use to
work on with paper or plastic as spills dont come off easly. I coat my coils
in the vertical position to minimise runs in the coat. A coat usualy takes
about an hour in the sun. Use ventalation as it stinks.
  Robert  H