Re: NSTs/MMCs

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 4/5/02 8:14:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Me and my friend recently acquired some new NSTs for use in our 6" coil. Up
> till now we've been using a single 12/30 for operation with a 6 beer bottle
> SWC. We are not sure what setup will benefit our coil the most. Available
> are:
> 4 15/30 NSTs
> 1 12/60
> 1 12/30
> I also had the the opportunity to get a pair of GE 0.5uF capacitors rated at
> 2KV off ebay, which should arrive shortly. What setup will work best with our
> coil?
> 6" secondary
> 15 turns 1/4" primary
> 8 gap RQ style static gap
> 6Saltwater caps (soon to be a pair of 0.5uF caps)
>
> P.S. we are also looking at possibly going with the MMC route this summer,
> does
> anyone have some suggestions for this?
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Hi Michael,
         I would use the 4 15/30s in parallel and sell the the caps and other
two trannies s  in order to buy MMC caps, or use them for JLs, or boat anchors,
etc. Unfortunately, your caps are too big capacity-wise and too small
voltage-wise for this size coil. You would need a dozen of them in series for
good voltage rating, then the .042 uF resultant cap would be about right for
LTR. As it stands, the 0.25-at-4KV result you'll get would require a topload the
size of a whole garage, and would last about 2 seconds with any of your
transformers. You can verify this through any of the on-line TC programs.

Matt D.
G3-1085