Condenser Products says...

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jim-at-jlproduction-dot-com>

Hi all,
After all the replies I had gotten about my cap, and all the rumors I
had heard about it, I decided to call Condenser Products myself.

I was mostly curious about what I could really run for a NST with my
15KVAC rated .01 mfd cap and any other info I could find about it.
I talked to a guy in the engineering dept and he pulled the records of
that cap and we talked about it at length. He was also a coil builder
but has not been active since his job change to Condenser Products years
ago.

He claims that if I DO NOT run a rotary gap that cap will last at least
2000 hrs running a 15/60 NST. In all likeliness, probably much longer
than that. He says that cap was tested at great length because of its
potential to be abused severely. It was run at 1.5 times the rated
voltage several hours and actually repeatedly fed 120KV in a peak load
test without failure!!!
He also claims that if I kept run times limited to 45 seconds or so I
could quite possibly not kill it at all regardless of what I threw at
it(with the exception of high break rates like those found using rotary
gaps).
He went on to tell me that the design of that cap uses both pressed and
interlocked inner construction to avoid rupture. Most caps use only
pressed construction.

BTW these caps are still for sale, just not to the general public. There
are only a few places they will sell them to but he would not give up
any names.
They did stop selling to the public after a rotary gap driven coil
caused a failure and litigation was threatened. It was a specially
designed cap for a customer and not an average Joe. CP claims it met the
design parameters and that the gap design was intentionally
misrepresented or it would not have ever left the factory for shipment.

I thought some of you may find this interesting....

Jim

---