Re: Coil ratio; width versus length.

Hi Matt,

Good question. Optimum sparklength as termed within the paragraph below
simply means
that John Freau's coil was capable of acheiving X sparklength for X input
power. His
imperical equations for sparklength are based on his testing of his coils. In
reality, most coilers don't acheive the predicted sparklength to input power
efficiency as John has (some do), the reasons why are many and mostly to do
with
losses. It is possible to get longer sparklengths than what is predicted (some
have). I used the term "optimum" meaning that if a coiler acheived this
sparklength,
his coil is doing well at turning power into sparklength. It does not mean
that this
is the limit for the coil, just that it's doing better than most, which I
consider
optimized (there's probably a better word).

Take care,
Bart