Re: Coil ratio; width versus length.

In a message dated 4/5/02 11:17:04 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> It is possible to get longer sparklengths than what is predicted (some
> have). I used the term "optimum" meaning that if a coiler acheived this
> sparklength,

Bart, all,

I've even gotten longer sparks than my own predictions   :)

> his coil is doing well at turning power into sparklength. It does not mean
> that this
> is the limit for the coil, just that it's doing better than most, which I
> consider
> optimized (there's probably a better word).

You bring up a good point.  I usually use that word too, and talk
about an optimal design, perhaps reaching or exceeding my
equation's predictions.  But I agree a better word is desireable.
Sometimes I say an "efficient" coil, and that may be better,
because to claim an optimal design may be too much at
this stage of the game.  After all, who's to say what's really
optimal?  When I do say optimal, I just really mean more or
less optimal, or hopefully approaching optimal, or something like that.
I think that's generally understood by the list readers, although
some newbies could be mislead and think that some perfect
performance standard has been achieved.

Cheers,
John