Small coil and Primary

Original poster: "Ben McMillen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <spoonman534-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Thanks everyone for the help with the oil.. ;)

  I started building a table top coil that I want to power with an
HEI/dimmer setup for the HV supply.. I've wound a secondary on a piece of
2" PVC with 31GA wire.. winding length is 10" (~1000 turns if I remember
correctly).. resonant frequency is about 526KHz with a 2.5" doorknob as a
topload.. Here's what I need to know:

1. How do I go about measuring the secondary inductance of the HEI so that
I can be sure of being LTR? Does LTR even matter with such a small coil? I
think I remember a site somewhere that had the measurements worked out for
60Hz and 1KHz..

2. What is the most efficient primary design for a coil of this size? I've
seen a few coils with a helical primary.. does anyone see any problem with
this?

3. Would a small NST or OBIT be a better choice for a HV supply? I don't
know how much current an HEI's secondary can put out before frying.. If I
remember correctly, the output power depends on the size of the motor run
cap that's in series with the dimmer and coil..

Again, thanks for any help..

Coiling In Pittsburgh
Ben McMillen