Re: Cap Question

Original poster: "Kevin Ottalini by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ottalini-at-mindspring-dot-com>

All:
    I believe that Mike Loftus has a few dozen of the green high-performance
pulse caps still available that fit this niche a little better than MMCs,
very cost
and size effective for the performance.

They are 0.09ufd and 0.100ufd (and maybe 0.125) at 10kV, 5Arms, 4000Apeak.

With a 14,400v AC tranny I recommend 3 in series (but I use 2 typically) so
assuming worstcase cost, 3 in series/3 in parallel (9 total) with the
0.09ufd
caps you get .09uFd at 30kv, 15Arms for $40ea or $360 total.

If you use the 2 in series 2 in parallel and push the envelope, that's only
4 caps for $160 (gosh is 20kv at 10A rms enough?).

I currently run 2s/2p in my TC up to 4kw with no sign of heating or
problems with a 14400v PT.

Pics and tech info is here:
    http://www.mindspring-dot-com/~ottalini/
look under high voltage capacitor information.

Email Mike directly if you are interested at
    loftusm-at-ix-dot-netcom-dot-com

Best,
    Kevin