135 foot streamers

I picked up my well worn copy of "Man Out Of Time" and found the chapter
"Blackout at Colorado Springs". On page 144 it says:
"Tesla, however, was neither injured nor dead. He was frozen in a paroxysm
of bliss. From where he stood he could see the lightening bolts shooting 135
feet from the top of the mast, and as he later learned, the thunder was
being heard fifteen miles away in Cripple Creek."
Recently there was some discussing which concluded that this could not have
been the case, based on perusal of Dr. Tesla's writing it was calculated
that they could have been no longer than 32 feet. Has anyone consider the
earth resonance frequencies in their own experiments. (8,14 and 20 cycles)?