Re: vttc

Hey James,

This is one problem that tube coils have- they seem to give longer sparks when
the plate voltage rises very rapidly and then decays away, which is what the
doubler does.  Perhaps when you drive the coil with pulses from a level
shifter, you transfer energy to the secondary in a very short amount of time
(high peak power) due to the discharging of your level-shifter capacitor into
the oscillator.  According to one theory, the faster you can transfer energy
into the secondary circuit, the more you can get into it before breakdown in
air, and hence when breakdown occurs you get a longer spark due to higher
voltage.   When we run CW with no doubler, we can get higher average power but
perhaps a lower peak power.  The reason the doubler is necessary for long
sparks is something I really want to have explained also!

-Carl

-at-
Sent by: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
10/08/2000 12:24 PM CST