new to the list, 7kVA run after the front

Hi all...I'm new to the list ; ) I've been lingering on T2 for a while now,
so some people know me. Anyhow, a quick background about myself:

* Name: Justin Hays
* Age: 19
* How long I've been in hobby: 3 years
* Best bud: Aron Koscho
* First coil spec's: 15kV 30mA NST, quaker oats oatmeal primary, 1.5" x 10"
secondary (can you say overcoupled?), saltwater caps, 4" arcs max

Aron got me into this hobby, and now we do most of our tesla coil and high
voltage work together. Our current project (nearing completion) is a 12"
secondary running 7kVA. We lit it up for the first time last week, and got 9
footers from it quite easily. Power input was right at 5.5kVA.

The weather guys say a big cold front will hit south Texas in a few days. We
have been working HARD trying to get things perfect, so we can have a nice
clean run the following cold, dry, night ; )

I'm about halfway through making a larger topload for the coil....I cut out
nine, 16" diameter plywood disks today with a jig saw. Each disk will be
mounted around a 36" disk, each being secured to it with ????? ; ) I'm
thinking small angle brackets. Anyway, it will be wrapped with 1" mesh
chicken wire (purchased today, 48" x 50' roll for 20 bucks at hardware
store).

We're hoping the larger topload and better tuning will yield 10 foot arcs. I
imagine we'll get it, too.

The controller, coil tabletop, capacitors, and pig for this system can be
found at:

www.hvguy-dot-com

Follow the link, and then click on the "7kVA TC sys." picture. You can see
the old 6" secondary we tried using for this (which burned, bigtime...it was
great) and the old primary. Of course we now use a 12" secondary, and a
larger primary to fit it. I will have everything up on the page when Aron
comes back over w/ his digital cam. The stuff is at my place ; )

Either Aron or I will let everyone know how "second light" goes in a couple
days. We'll definately keep ya posted. Responsible, safe coiling to everyone.

Justin Hays
KC5PNP
Email: pyrotrons-at-aol-dot-com
webpage: www.hvguy-dot-com