Re: darn the formula torpedoes (3 coils x 2 coils)

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Albert Hassick" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>
>
> Hi Antonio.  VERY interesting post!  Is it then possible that a Maggie
> system may actually be capable of producing more useful output versus a
> conventional two coil system even though spark length is the same?
> Could you elaborate more on the premise of faster energy transfer and
> would this mean that a maggie may possibly be more efficient in some ways
> than a two winding coil?   Would this allow an electrical field to be
> produced in a faster manner, thereby increasing the overall field
> efficiency in a tertiary arrangement and resulting in a increase of
> available power in each 'pulse' of the tertiary coil setup?  Is it not
> possible that this is what Tesla was trying to do with his 'world power'
> network?    AL

The idea of faster energy transfer is this:

A two-coils system transfer energy from the primary to the secondary
system in a series of oscillations, with the complete transfer taking
some cycles to be completed. Some energy is lost in the spark gap and
other losses in the time taken for this.

The number of oscillations required for the complete transfer depends
essentially in the primary-secondary coupling, existing several "modes",
corresponding to a series of particular values of the coupling
coefficient that results in complete energy transfer. Coupling
coefficients
between these "magical" values never transfer all the initial energy
to the secondary, even ignoring losses. The first of the "magical"
coupling coefficients is k=0.6, that results in full energy transfer
in just -one- cycle. This keeps current flowing through the gap for
minimum time, and so minimizes the losses.

A so high value of k, however, is difficult to achieve, generally
resulting in sparking between the two coils, that have to be very
close.

A solution to this problem, long known (possibly Tesla's idea),
is to split the secondary in two, moving the high-voltage terminal
away to the third coil, that is a long coil similar to the secondary of
a two-coils system, and to make a driver transformer with a
relatively wide secondary to obtain high coupling with the primary.
With the primary-secondary coupling higher than 0.6, it's then possible
to design the system for an overall coupling of 0.6, or other of the
low "modes", that transfer energy in 2 or 3 cycles.

This is the classical "magnifier". The fundamental reason for it is
just faster energy transfer, what reduces losses, without serious
flashover problems.

Tesla probably observed, or concluded, that this configuration
would be more practical for loss minimization. He was good in
technical solutions, even with his final plans (dreams?) being
unachievable.

A further improvement is to add a certain amount of capacitance to
the top of the secondary coil, in a way that transfers all the
energy that would be stored in the distributed capacitances there
to the third coil at the right moment. This is what I show how
to do in my magnifier page (not originally my idea, but I developed
it an extra bit).

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz