Re: Ballast inductor.

On Tue, 03 Oct 2000 08:22:17 -0600 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
John, I recently procured a pair of 10kVA ~7.2kV piggies, and am looking
to build an inductive ballast for it. I have all the 12 gauge wire I
would need for several hundred windings on a 3.5" form, or just a few
hundred on a larger one...     ...I'm looking for something that I could
limit the current input with to as little as 4 or 5 amps at minimum, then
open out for 20 A or more.  We can probably get welding rods,  though "I"
pieces from trannie cores would be hard for us to find...

Any comments, please.

Who did build your ballast?

Grayson Dietrich
http://www.electrophile.8m-dot-com

> Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

> I have a homemade ballast, but I didn't build it.  I think it has
> 300 turns
> of #12 wire, with a bunch of taps.  Originally it was filled with
> welding
> rods and threaded rods, but I replaced that with transformer "I's"
> from
> NST's.  Max inductance  is about 26mH, minimum is about 1mH.
> This gives the range that I need.  The range that you need will
> depend on the coil specs and voltage input.  The form for the
> ballast is 3" by 19" pvc.  A large selector switch selects the
> 8 taps as needed.
>
> John Freau

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno-dot-com/get/tagj.