Re: Ballast inductor.

1.72 mH = 0.65 ohms reactance = 380 amps at 240VAC short circuit!
0.33 mH = 0.12 ohms

I'd try winding a few more turns.. Inductance goes as the square of the
number of turns.
Don't forget that your 100 ft of #10 has a series RESISTANCE (not
inductance or impedance) of about 0.1 ohms, also... (rule of thumb, #10 = 1
ohm/1000 ft)

Also, saturation might be a problem.  That is, the current might be high
enough to saturate the core, which will make the inductance closer to the
"no core" value.