DC coil filtering

I am attempting to convert an AC powered coil to a DC powered coil (more
experimenting than anything else). I feel I have the basics down as far
as suppling the HVDC (using full wave bridge) to the tank circuit, but
would like to know what the experience is out there as to the
application of some kind of filtering to remove the ripple for a more
constant voltage and current. I have not spent much time to determine
the size of cap needed to reduce the ripple significantly, nor the
amount of resistance to give me a good RC time constant to maintain a
good ramp between DC peaks. The chokes are fairly easy to do, but a HV
cap is a different story. My biggest concern is whether the time and
money and effort spent will be worth a constant voltage, or whether I
should leave things well enough alone and not worry about the ripple.

Terry