[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT/ follow up

tesla-at-pupman-dot-com on 28.11.98 11:00:17

To:   tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
cc:    (bcc: Marco Denicolai/MARTIS)
Subject:  RE: IMPORTANT: RESEARCH ON WHAT/ follow up

Original Poster: "Dr. John W. Gudenas" <jgudenas-at-admin.aurora.edu>
>Hi Marco
>I wanted the dust to settle on your request before I responded.
>Question 1 is for you. Why is the Helsinki University interested in Tesla
>Coils?

This is just a lucky concurrence of facts:

1. The number of Electrical Eng. students chosing the High Voltage
Institute is decreasing constantly over the years. Most of the recruting
work is done by attracting future students with something stimulating,
challenging and exciting (you know, young dreamers...). The laboratory is
intensively object of visits from schools and other groups.

2. The laboratory DO have several meters high megavolt generators but:
A - A discharge performed with one of those is a fat white "tube" with no
ramification (not "cool")
B - The discharge will stress those VERY expensive machines
C - These generators are either 50 Hz or DC, no high frequency.

3. Many artists and photographers are demanding for shooting at lightning
and spikes but, again, a white fat strike is not even looking like a tunder
lightning.

4. The HUT is very liberal and really promotes research.

Now you can see the benefits for the HUT to have a TC of their own: nice
streamers, relatively low price, good show for scolars and photographers.
And, more, possibility to research deeply into the TC principles, which are
fashinating also many individuals working in that lab. I get financial aid,
right to use laboratory and instruments and right to "play".

>Question 2. Will your Ph.D. be in Physics or Electrical Engineering?

Here in Finland you can first get a Licensiate degree and then a PhD
degree. I suppose I'll do like that, in 2 steps. It will be in Electrical
Eng., but because HUT is very liberal I am going also to add several
courses from Electromagnetism, Electric fields, etc.

Anyway, I'll try to shift as little as possible to the Physics side.

I have got a MSc degree in Computer Science and a lower degree in
Electrical Engineering.