[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Laser Triggered Spark Gap

>In summary, isn't it time to move toward triggered spark gaps for
>disruptive TCs?
>
>Thanks in advance for your comments.

A friend of mine told me a few years ago that an engineering professor here
at the local university had been working on a triggered spark gap.
Basically, the form was a single static gap with an ordinary automotive
spark plug centered between the static gap electrodes.
An inductor was in series with spark plug so that the inductor was between
the power supply and the trigger (spark plug).
The inductor was designed so that its charge time (reactance) was equal to
the desired pulse rate. Supposedly, the inductor would charge, and then
once charged, would appear as a short across the trigger-charging power
supply. When the short was sensed, the power to the trigger would switch off.
Somehow, some of that doesn't make sense to me, and I'm wondering if the
inductor wouldn't have to be across the power-supply lead and ground...?
Anyway, it seems feasible to me to use the reactance of a coil to determine
pulse-rates at least :)

Dan