[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:47:25 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

<<  John F. -

 >  Your troubles with coupling and quenching illustrates what I mean when I
 >say that today's Tesla coil designers/builders should take advantage of the
 >experiences of what past builders have found that will work. For example, if
 >you follow their advice for coupling regarding a particular coil, the coil
 >and quenching will operate correctly because they have already determined
> the proper conditions.

John C,

If I built my coils the way others built them, I would have missed a
myriad of opportunities for discovery.  That's why I build my coils
differently than the accepted way in many cases.  Interestingly,
I found that in many cases the accepted wisdom was wrong.  In
my designs, I am pushing the envelope...sometimes too far...but
at least now I know where the limits lie.

For those who wish to build a coil and get it going with minimum
fuss and bother, I agree that the quickest way is to copy existing
proven designs.  The best approach for TC design and building
depends on one's goals.

John Freau

 >As I have said before, I have collected this type of
> information and used it to develop a TC computer program. The program will
 >get you in the ballpark. It is up to you to improve on the design.

 >  I agree with you that every coiler should review, study, and understand
> the wealth of information available on the Tesla List. This information
> represents the experiences of many modern coilers. I have spent a lot of
 >time also collecting this information and sifting thru it to come up with
> design criteria for creating classical Tesla coils that work.

 >  The coupling for Tesla coils is an important parameter because if it is
> too high the coil will not operate properly or at all. I agree that if the
 >quenching is too tight that quenching will not work as it should. This
>agrees with what past coilers have found. The coupling depends on over a
 >dozen other TC parameters. It is a ratio of mutual inductance divided by the
> sqrt of the primary inductance times the secondary inductance. It is obvious
> that with these inductances that many variables are involved. These
 >variables must be coordinated or the Tesla coil will not operate correctly
 >including the quenching. With a properly designed TC the quenching will
> occur at a time long after the spark leaves the toroid at the first
transfer.