[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 12:26:49 EDT
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: How to rise the secondary? (fwd)

>  John F. -

> I was reviewing your March and April posts of 1997 and found that you have
> forgotten that some of your tests agree with what I have been saying.

>   Good tuning is a prerequisite to good quenching
>   At K = .11 got 1st notch quench
>   At k = .16  quench moved to 2nd notch and destroyed secondary
>   Sparks were longest at low K values. The JHCTES program agrees

John C,

What I meant in my recent post was that even if the tuning is correct,
you're still stuck with bad quenching when you couple up too tight.
You implied that tuning will solve the quench problem that occurs with
tight coupling...it won't (and close physical spacing between the pri and
sec is not the main problem with tight coupling either).  I assumed folks
tune their coils correctly in general.  After all, why run a coil mistuned?
If someone had their coil mistuned...yes it would hurt the quench, and
tuning would help, but it still wouldn't solve the main quench problem
that occurs with tight coupling.  The main problem is that spark gaps
can't quench well with tight coupling, and when the quench is poor
energy is wasted, and racing sparks may occur on the secondary.
A better quenching gap would permit tighter coupling with resultant
lower losses, and longer sparks without racing sparks on the secondary.

As far as obtaining the best spark when the sec was level with the
primary, that was in just one of my coils.  I mentioned many other tests
where the results were best with the secondary raised.

So I don't think I forgot anything this time, but I'm the first to admit
that I often remember a lot less than I'd like to    :)

John Freau