Re: [TCML] comment about new coilers

Frank wrote:

If this idea of trial by fire is so important, we should all make our own IC's, computers, go dig ore and refine it and make wire, cast engine blocks, piping and copper tubing and learn how to make cars, cut down tress and saw them to build a house, use the pulp to make paper and etc. Once we learn from our screw ups, then we can got and buy the product?

Well.. there are some for whom that is a preferred mode of operation (if only to dream). Lindsay Books sells all manner of interesting stuff that would let you basically start from "look, there's some land that has copper ore" and wind up with a working Tesla coil.

Some of that could be fun (if one had the time and place to do it.. my wife convinced me that a cupola furnace in the back yard, fired with coal, probably would not endear us to the neighbors, no matter how educational for my daughters to see steel making in action.)

And, I was always amazed by "The Woodwright's Shop" on PBS (not that I would wander out into the forest with only an axe and proceed to build a house, including the furniture)

This list is wonderful in many ways. It lets the person who just wants to put the stuff together and make sparks have a place to go for info. It also provides a forum for those who want to discuss theory. It also is a venue for craftsmen (and women) who are interested in the fabrication share info on building techniques, ancient and modern.

And, we are remarkably civil and have a high signal to noise ratio, compared to some other lists. (Thank you moderators!) Just enough arguing to keep it interesting and not devolving into esoterica to scare away the new coiler.