Re: [TCML] comment about new coilers

Bart,
Good you know Miles, we who do not and see his comments differently.
I guess those of us all failed advanced reading between the lines and mind reading. Not knowing Mile's and his comments soured me immediately and I had to respond. I worked around that type of attitude and when I was the boss, those folks were fired! A newbie would probably see it the same way., IE, spend money, blow things up and then we will help you, well some of us anyway.

If this idea of trial by fire is so important, we should all make our own IC's, computers, go dig ore and refine it and make wire, cast engine blocks, piping and copper tubing and learn how to make cars, cut down tress and saw them to build a house, use the pulp to make paper and etc. Once we learn from our screw ups, then we can got and buy the product?

Not everyone is aware of the TCML and not everyone is knowledgeable in the beginning of everything. Scott sounds like he did most of his homework and documented it well. Today's sign transformers are totally different that the old ones, even with the same ratings, and how was he to know?

I had some excellent folks who taught me a lot when I was growing up, this includes guns since they were mentioned. I was shooting at age 6 and had my own rifle and could take it out without supervision after I was 8!

Thanks to some special friends and teachers, I did not screw up as bad as I could have! Oh yes, I blew fuses, knocked myself across the room a few times and made some mistakes, but they were minor compared to the sink or swim theory! I was playing with 1KW tube type AM transmitters at age 12 and repairing avionics at age 15. Mistakes there are fatal!

I have taught college and trained newbies at work in the very dangerous oilfield business. I wished I had teachers when I started the oilfield as mistakes in that business costs lives in an instant!

I used my experience coupled with what I was shown and taught to self educate and improve myself, but not all can do that well.

NST's were easy to find at one time, I had one when I was 8, today they are being replaced by the modern SS Tesla exciters, cheaper and lighter plus safer in the sign business.

The younger generation has no reference to understand the difference, they see a NST of a certain rating and that is what they get not realizing there is a BIG difference depending on the application. There are not mfgrs reference to specify use outside a sign nor are they going to advocate a use other than the particular one it was intended for.

Technology has obsoleted a lot of "old" electrics and electronics and this same obsolete technology is what is needed to make a Tesla coil work. Capacitors are one big stumbling block as many of the group has found and too, a solution was found using modern components. "Old" NST's are a fair substitute for early wireless transformers and again, the group learned they have problems and limits that have to be address, such as resonance, Terry filters, non GFI and more. An old wireless transformer would run 24/7 without all the extra "junk" we have to put on a NST just to protect it.

Nothing replaces experience but do not you think part of that experience is someone looking over your should to gently nudge you when you are off track instead of allowing a complete and perhaps costly disaster knowing it will happen and just standing by?

I worked with folks with that sort of attitude, "Well, he will not do that again" while watching them heading for a problem and doing nothing and saw frustration, rage and even broken spirit in those folks. "Ain't the way to build a railroad" as some would say.

Frank