[Home][2023 Index] [TCML] VTTC Tank Caps [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] VTTC Tank Caps

Hi Fabio,

Those ceramic transmitting capacitors you linked are exactly the type I was
thinking of and I find it interesting that you have had good luck on some
MMC polypropylene caps so far.

Just wondering, since you are in Italy (I think I have this correct), what
kind of mica cap availability do you have over there in that part of the
world and made from what countries out of curiosity? For me/we in the USA,
we have a large selection of good older USA made mica transmitting
capacitors especially from the 1940's to late 1960's pretty easily obtained
that are constructed with the "finest India ruby mica" dielectric. They had
especially good quality control in my opinion of this era of manufacturing
mica capacitors. And good sources of raw ruby mica, other types of mica is
not as good, and from what I know, these days, good raw ruby mica is much
harder to come by for manufacturers, so newer ones can be made of other
types of mica. There is only "so much out there" of this mica type in the
mines. For me, I have had only one mica cap destroyed because it was way
too small for the current handling requirement in how the VTTC was set up,
met voltage, but... learned the hard way...
For me, when sized correctly for both voltage and current handling
capability I have had great performance and I really push my tube coils
hard at times and for really long durations too. And also, another note
here, is these older ones have a metal brass nameplate which shows
typically three different frequency numbers and the associated amps at that
frequency. The amp handling goes down the lower the frequency. And when
hitting a point in much higher frequency, it will again go down in amps in
the rating.
Just like those good Soviet ceramics, they get much larger and heavier the
good ones.

Another curiosity is, what are the frequencies of your VTTC'S.
For me, the lowest running frequency I have experimented with so far, about
200khz and I have been all over in-between up to 700khz. I have yet, to
experiment going into the MHz range... some day...

Chris Reeland
Ladd Illinois USA

Sent from my Lenovo Tablet