[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT

The nearest Essex distributor with stock that doesn't mind a small sale
gets the order. I like their inverter grade wire. With thicker guages, the
weight of wire goes up fast and if you play it right, you don't end up
with a useless amount of wire leftover. Bigger spools unwind nicer too,
although it doesn't matter for stuff like 28 guage. Copper work hardens
pretty fast too, so again, with thicker wires you want to get things right
the first time if looks matter. Shiny varnish will bring out all the ugly.

For say a medium sized coil on 6" PVC with say 30" of windings with 20
gauge the math comes out to aound 25 turns per inch, and 1227 feet, which
is around 4 pounds. I'd just a 10lb spool and make another coil or two vs.
ending up with 25% of unusable scrap.

Work hardening is why people get drunk looking primaries when using
refrigeration tubing. It's a pain to clean off the scale, but you can sort
of anneal copper with a propane torch. Acetylene works much better. Same
tricks apply to these- buy new and in the largest size (diameter of
packaging) you can, and use the absolute minimum number of bending cycles
during production.