[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT

Hello unnamed person :)

Thank you for your feedback. I'm unfamiliar with winding my own chokes.
That is, I'm unclear on how to design my own chokes for a particular
specification, and I lack an LCR meter to determine I have enough
inductance. If I use my existing 500ohm/100W resistors to form a RL lowpass
filter, I will need two chokes of approximately 0.25mH each.

> The real key to not burning out your NST is proper tuning.

Yes, I'm not quite sure what other tuning I need. Changing the tap position
has not made an appreciable difference. I have tried a smaller topload; a
1" torroid vs a 4" torroid, and did get increased spark length, but not
significantly. (Obviously I had to change the tap point).

> I always meter off the ground connection of secondary with a shunt
resistor.

What type of resistor do you use? I would really like to not destroy an
oscilloscope! Do you require differential probes for this?

Thanks again.

Joshua Thomas