[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT

Hi,

Go the lazy route and just use some online calcutors- but beware, at least
half of these are wrong, so go for the best two of three answers from
different sites.

Here's an simple looking one:
https://66pacific.com/calculators/coil-inductance-calculator.aspx

At the moment I can't locate the last chokes I made, but assuming they
were 2" PVC with 6" of windings and 28gauge that gives diameter of ~
2.375" and assuming 0.015" wire width and 400 turns we get 3.19
millihenrys per choke. Is there anything special about this configuration?
No, but it's cheap and was easy to make. I show a whopping impedance of
4.7kohms at 250kHz for such a coil. A wider, shorter coil and form will
give a larger inductance than a long slender coil. If I make a new set,
they'd be on 4" PVC as I have more of that laying around and it's still an
easy to work with size. No amount of inductance by itself will protect a
NST from burnout. You still need to protection gaps and to NOT run at
nameplate voltages. Another post mentioned resonant effects where voltages
can double, by accident in your primary. Nonense like this was another
reason I only ran off rectified DC. I even got strange resonant effect at
60Hz with certian variacs and transfomers. The variac would suddenly
sound like it was going into saturation, which really made no sense, but
that's how it worked.

There's a (slim) chance you're even running off a harmonic of the real
secondary coil resonant frequency. Tesla coils will run at the wrong
frequencies. The Q isn't stellar with the air gap and all, so this does
work.

The shunt resistors I used were just a junk box 0.1ohm metal oxide
resistors, rated maybe 2 watts. I connected that to coax and just attached
oscilloscope probe to that. You really don't need anything special. Oddly,
a tesla coil is more destructive to itself than surrounding electronics.
You might double up resistors for redundancy and add a neon light across
them as token protection at both ends of the coax or whatever you use.
They'll fire at ~70volts or so, and this won't destroy a decent scope. You
just want the scope on the same ground as the tesla coil itself. Just
remember the alligator lead on a scope is connect to the chassis and
ground at the plug. All channel grounds are connect to each other. If you
connect something like a large 12volt lead acid battery + to one clip on
channel 1 and the - to the ground clip on channel 2, you will smoke the
leads as they are a dead short. This is the "limitation" that calls for
dangerous stuff like cutting the ground lead off the power cord, or using
fancy probes.

If you can't get a frequency generator, one option is to charge your caps
with DC and fire them once (that is once at a time under your control)
with the spark gap and catch the waveform with the scope. You can prod at
your spark gap with a sissy stick with wire on it to trigger it. The
characteristics of a spark gap are always somewhat mysterious as they do
not have a fixed resistance or impedance so real measurements always beat
calculations.

Sadly the days of magnetic neon sign transformers are basically over, and
that GFCI stuff seems like complete nonsense.