[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: Terry/lowpass filter design, OBIT

Hi,

I just use large air cored chokes and a spark gap. It's simple, and
impossible to burn out. There's no need for some rube goldberg setup. HV
capacitors are expensive and like fuses can only be abused once. The last
set I made was probably on 2" PVC with 6" of #28 windings or something
similar to that. Protection spark gaps should be pointy and just on the
verge of firing. If they arc at full line voltage and no load, even
better. You don't get full nameplate voltage on a NST at full load
anyways, so don't expect that with a coil running. It's a not that
different from how you should never run a microwave oven empty. They must
have a load to prevent arcing.

The solid state ignition transformer sounds fun. I ran my coils off DC,
rectified from NSTs or even unshunted transformers.

The real key to not burning out your NST is proper tuning. I could tell
from the video you posted a week or so ago that the coil was still not
tuned correctly, or other adjustments are still needed. The sound of the
spark gap and how the arcs looked was the key. You should be able to get
streamers that grow in length and do not not look like DC arcs from a
power pack or electrostatic generator. Even for a coil the size of yours
the tuning will change due to the proximity of objects nearby, even your
arm or a ground lead. For maximum fun, tune the coil to you and the ground
wand you draw arcs off.

If you can look at the waveform for the coil with an oscilloscope, that
helps too. I always meter off the ground connection of secondary with a
shunt resistor. It's the safest place to obtain a low voltage with respect
to ground for taking measurements or attaching instrumentation.

Congrats of the first light!