[Home][2021 Index] [TCML] Re: First coil - need some help [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Re: First coil - need some help

Hi Dave,

It was very dramatic when I had a shorted turn on my secondary, caused by a
prolonged streamer strike to the secondary, with a lot of fireworks and
smoke at the shorted turn, as the streamer output died, but I was around 15
kVA input. At lesser input, it would be less heat generated at the short.

Any significant overlap between turns could cause sparks through the wire
enamel, as the voltage differential is quite big across a few turns.

But a short could very likely appear only when the coil is driven the normal
way in tesla coil use, as sparks between overlapped turns could perhaps only
be present then, and not necessarely be clearly visible. One way of putting
this is that there skould be no overlapping turns at all in the secondary,
in this way flash over is clearly visible if they occur.

Regards,

Jan

https://www.sthlmteslacoil.se/