[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] Coupling [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Coupling

Hi Doug, Hi Gary,

Doug, you have realized, what was only meant as “my 2 cents”, in my posting, in a perfect way, while I was making only the following kind of “halfwave resonator TC’s”:

on my YouTube channel (hvchbs):
https://www.youtube.com/user/hvchbs/videos?view=0
... one can see my small flexible TC, in bipolar=1/2wave & 1/4wave mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GlSynTBlhY&t=1s

it has no variable coupling, i.e. of the kind mentioned in my posting
but a description of the “EBM-Museum Bipolar TC” can be had at:
https://hvchbs.zeitgenossen.ch/Downloads/EBM-Museums-TC-2.pdf

...On the other hand, I made a Twin, the Uni-Bern-Tesla-Twin:
https://hvchbs.zeitgenossen.ch/Downloads/UBTT-Betrieb.pdf
in which the primary is halfed in two flat spirals, positioned below
each of the 2 secondaries, and connected in series. By that way the
coupling can be adjusted for best coupling to each of the secondaries.

In the first of the 2 reports, at page 16 and pp. 18…&…19+ I’ve tried documenting, how one might look at the bipolar TC, in order to calculate it. The way I’ve taken is to assume the symmetry-plane in the middle of the system as a groundplane, and calculating one half of the bipolar only, as an ordinary quarterwave TC, as characterized by Paul Nicholson on TCML:

https://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2005/Mar/msg00573.html

This view leads to useful results in my case, and also lets me believe the proposed way of adjusting coupling is working –> a fact, Doug has demonstrated. I "think", in this case of a horizontal bipolar, there is no need or advantage for 2 primaries, but only for the secondary cut in 2 halves. I understand and concur with you, Gary, about some detuning of the TC will happen, when moving the 2 secondary halves, in order to change the coupling.

Best regards, Kurt