[Home][2020 Index] Re: [TCML] "Modern" Spark Gap Designs? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] "Modern" Spark Gap Designs?

Tedd,
1) With each gap you increase the ability to quench (good), however, you
also increase voltage drop (bad). So there is a sweet spot.
2) Yes, they are in series, so all gaps must fire, otherwise it is a
misfire.

I haven't built a coil yet that uses both rotary and a series multiple gap,
but from what I have read, you don't need to set the gap spacing like a
normal single static gap (as in wider gap = higher voltage on the cap, and
too much spacing = damaged components). In this setup, the voltage on the
cap will be determined by the rotary speed/BPS, while the TCBOR/RQ gap will
NOT be set to max out the overall breakdown voltage. You just need a few
conservative gaps with fan to aid in quenching. A misfire would occur when
the total gap spacing (rotary and multi gap combined) will not breakdown
due to low voltage on the cap.

~Dan
Kansas City area