[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Eastern Voltage Research VTTC Staccato Controller - puzzled on "burst" output [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Eastern Voltage Research VTTC Staccato Controller - puzzled on "burst" output

Hi John,

Stayed up later than I thought in a good way :^)

Ran another running coil test using the "breadboard" interrupter
temporarily modified some, which I found interesting.

I decided to make a quick change to the cross over detection of part of the
circuit. I have multiple extra taps on the transformer I am using, so I
used a lower voltage one and since the VTTC is actually supplied by a level
shifted source itself, I have then level shifted the supply for the
detection circuit. Thought it was going to need a negative bias to work at
all, but decided to try without and see what happens. It works mostly, but
some stability problems noticable. But I adjusted PW, and found a stable
and "happy area". Easier than adding some - bias and some other possible
circuit tuning. I just wanted to test something on my mind, without
completely ripping my good running whole circuit all apart. So good enough
doing a running on coil test.

On the scope trace I captured, you can see the very large lead time now
compared to the normal ac sine wave. Just imagine this now level shifted
moving the sine wave just straight up. At the beginning of the rise now,
with just, it looks to me, a familiar little lead.

And the interesting thing is I saw no benefit. Ran exactly the same, good
swords. Ran just lowest rate. Did not want to change, for the possibility
of stability problems and hurting something.

So yes, as we both know, once the tube starts to oscillates, it goes...but
definitely there seems to be we don't want to trigger too late, as seen in
the EVR. I am going to just take a guess on the EVR that the tube
oscillations goes past the peak, the on to a small portion of the falling
part, hence spoiling the streamers. Again just a guess here right now.

Anyways I found this experiment very interesting.

Here is the scope picture of what I did and tried on coil.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/u1NzGH6bDy91o3bXA

Chris Reeland
Ladd Illinois USA

Sent from my LG V20