[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Current Meter [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Current Meter

Hi Dan,

Many years ago, I tried using an older thermocouple type RF ammeter (that I got at a hamfest) in series with the secondary base ground circuit in a 6" coil. As I recall, it was a 0-5A unit. It worked quite well at lower power levels, but I accidentally burned it out when trying to run it at slightly higher power levels. The resistance/heating element in the meter apparently was a bit fragile, particularly when trying to handle the high-current peaks from a spark-gap TC. YMMV...

I had much better success using a wideband current transformer and oscilloscope.

Bert

Daniel Kunkel wrote:
Hello list,
I have been thinking about using a current meter to monitor the base
current of the secondary coil, mainly as a tuning aid. It appears there are
HAM radio guys that use RF ammeters, and there are even plans to build your
own, however, I wonder how accurate it would be (due to dirty EMI and
irregular current draw)? Has anyone tried this? Or is there a better way to
ensure the tune is spot on other than observing for best streamer
production?
Thanks,
~Dan
Kansas City area...where the ground might be starting to dry out, but only
a little bit