[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Let's Get Small [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Let's Get Small

I made a Tesla coil out of ONLY parts from a microwave oven, hotglue and solder.
Details here including photos:

"This Tesla coil is made only from parts from a single microwave oven.
It was part of a challenge to the 4HV community to see who could make one first. Here are the tech details. The microwave oven transformer supplies 2000VAC which is voltage doubled with the 140 nF capacitor and diode to around 3,500VDC. The primary winding came from the 6Volt heater winding from the main transformer. The very fine Tesla coil secondary wire came from the fan motor windings and is supported by the triangular wheel platter support. The spark gap was constructed from a stripped circuit board and some aluminium strips. So what about the capacitors here? The tricky part was to open the original 1uF oil filled capacitor and unroll windings then reconnect them to form a a 140nf 3.5kV capacitor for the doubler and the main Tesla tank cap of 1nF at perhaps 10kV. Plus the original cardboard former was taken out washed and used as the secondary former. It worked. The capacitors died fairly quickly but proof of principle was established."
Even had some racing sparks.

From: "Gary Gaspar" <majrombus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:26 AM
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>; <derstrom8@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [TCML] Let's Get Small

Gary Lau
An inspiration for me to try the same my neighbor threw out his very old bug zapper a while back & now I can do something with it. Cool On Tuesday, January 15, 2019, 06:10:38 PM PST, derstrom8--- via Tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Speaking of small Tesla coils -
One of my very first was made out of junk (I didn't spend a penny on it) and it stood only about four inches high. It used wire from an old microwave oven fan motor wound around a toilet paper tube for the secondary, and there was no topload. The primary consisted of just a few turns (4-6?) of bare copper ground wire removed from a section of 12-2 Romex residential cable, and it was set up on bottle caps at the base of the secondary. The capacitor was a single beer bottle wrapped in aluminum foil and filled with salt water. The capacitance measured about 0.5nF, if I remember correctly. I used a static spark gap (I believe it was 6 or 7 sections of copper tube mounted next to each other on a hard plastic VHS case) and the whole thing was connected to a 9kV 60mA NST.
Looking back, I realize that the fact that it worked at all was sheer luck - I did not do any math whatsoever when I built this coil and I had absolutely no idea what I was doing. Nonetheless this build really sparked my interest (no pun intended) in Tesla coil building and brought me to where I am today. Despite its horrible design and assembly, I'm still fairly proud of this little coil, though if I ever tried to replicate it I can guarantee it would never work the same.
Matt Lewis, Fairlee VT

Tesla mailing list