[Home][2019 Index] Re: [TCML] Aesthetics vs. Performance [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Aesthetics vs. Performance

Hi  Jeremiah,

Dielectric losses are only significant in the dielectric layer between your
cap plates.  It has no measurable effect in the context of secondary
insulation, secondary form material, or coatings.  I don't believe that
coating the secondary provides any benefit beyond keeping the windings from
shifting, protecting the windings from abrasion, and aesthetics.  It won't
help with controlling racing sparks or pri/sec arcovers.  I've always just
used whatever source of secondary wire presented itself - don't overthink
it.

PVC is an attractive, plentiful, and easy material to use.  But know that
in and around spark gaps, in addition to not tolerating heat well, the
exposure to UV radiation will quickly turn the clean white to
brownish-orange. If you don't care too much about the color, then PVC is
fine as long as it's not structural in an RSG.

Regarding secondary size...  Without exception, I have always found that as
far as performance, Bigger is Better.  A bigger secondary warrants a bigger
top load, and there too, bigger is better.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA