[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] GF NST,s [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] GF NST,s

I donno.  The GFI kicks into action not because too much current is being
drawn but because mains current in is not equal to mains current out, i.e.
mains current must be leaking, or something else is happening that looks
like that.  Too much secondary current cannot be drawn because of the
built-in current limiting of the NST shunts.

30 mA flowing through a 1K resistor only drops the voltage by I*R=30 volts,
not a significant loss out of 6000V.  That said, resistors in protection
networks do get quite warm, so it's possible more current than
faceplate-rating is flowing due to core saturation.  But resistors are made
to get hot.  Putting an aluminum heat sink on it is probably not necessary
and if the R is part of an R-C low-pass filter, could compromise the
high-voltage stand-off rating of the resistor.

>> All I know is that it works. Take the resisters out, and GF pops.
I can't argue with success.  Thank you for reporting this!  After all this
blathering on my part, I don't have an alternate explanation for why the
presence of the two resistors allows the GF NST to work.

Regards,, Gary Lau
MA, USA

Virus-free.
www.avg.com