[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VTTC MOT question

Hi Chris,

That is a nice looking breadboard. It looks like after you get everything sorted out you can mount everything except that big variac in a fairly compact unit.

My 833A VTTC consist of two levels: a 60 Hz deck and a RF deck. Construction is open. I prefer the functional look where everything is visible and open but construction is clean and orderly. The open construction also eases modification and offers good cooling.

The lower deck is all 60 Hz stuff. Everything on this deck is mounted on an aluminum plate measuring 24" x 14" x 0.5". The aluminum plate provides good rigidity, good heat sinking, a good ground, and also serves somewhat as a counterpoise for the secondary coil above it. The lower deck contains the following:

* MOT
* Voltage doubler (MOT capacitors, diode, and RF bypass capacitor)
* Filament transformer
* Interrupter transformer
* Interrupter triac
* 2 fans
* EMI power line filter brick

The upper deck is all RF. Everything is mounted on a bakelite plate measuring about 18" x 10" x 0.5". The upper deck contains the following:

* 833A and RF bypass capacitor
* Tube protection low pass filter (resistor with coil around it connected to plate)
* Fan for 833A
* Primary coil with 9 tap points
* Primary capacitor
* Adjustable height feedback coil currently about 2 inches above primary coil
* Grid feedback components (capacitor and resistor)
* Secondary coil

There is also a front panel attached to the lower deck which contains:

* MOT variac
* Filament transformer variac
* MOT voltmeter
* MOT amp meter
* Filament transformer variac
* Filament volt meter
* Switches
* Pilot lamps
* Interrupter circuit board and controls

Total height is about 30 inches. It weighs about 50 pounds. I wanted a portable unit so that I can take it to schools and other places for demonstrations.