[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Divide and conquer [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Divide and conquer

jimlux wrote:
<snip>

yeah, but I think any reasonable capacitance will be larger than the top load capacitance, and will load the coil. Say you want a 10,000:1 divider to get 500kV down to 50V.  The 50V part has to be, say, 10pF, so the 500kV part is 10pF/10,000.  So you'd need a 100  of 0.1 pF capacitors in series?  And what would those look like? Is this even available.

A hundred 1000pF 7kV or 10 kV radial-leaded ceramic NP0/C0G caps in series would "look" like ~10 pF of loading to the TC while providing sufficient voltage margin for 500 kV(peak) output. Using a bottom cap of 100 nF would provide a 10,000:1 divider ratio. Using smaller value caps on the divider chain would correspondingly reduce TC capacitive loading to perhaps only a few pF. It should be a reasonable approach from a component standpoint/

However, preventing corona and flashovers across the divider chain or from end to end inside of the TC coil form may be a bit of a challenge. The HV output and ground are normally never brought INSIDE the coil form for this reason...

I think, ultimately, a good capacitive e-field probe is the way to go. The probe is 1 plate (which effectively sits at "ground" potential) and the top load is the other plate of the capacitor.

I agree - as long as there are no streamers.

Easy to calibrate over frequency by any of a variety of means

.