[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Divide and conquer [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Divide and conquer

On 2/27/18 11:30 AM, Bert Hickman wrote:
Good ideas. Locating the divider inside the secondary should significantly reduce space charge effects.

However, a capacitive divider may provide more accuracy than an aqueous resistor or other resistive divider chain. In fact, HV resistors should not be necessary for this application since there is no DC component on the TC output. An AC divider would provides excellent high-frequency response, it shouldn't significantly reduce TC secondary Q, and the TC can easily be re-tuned for any changes in TC operating frequency.

Specifically, a series divider chain could be made from small PP film or COG/NPO Class I ceramic HV capacitors, housed inside a corona-resistant PMMA or polycarbonate tube, and centered within the TC secondary. The larger divider output cap is normally connected to the noisy TC RF ground, so it may be necessary to use a battery-powered buffer and analog fiber optic transmitter - receiver pair to get a clean output signal.

Bert

yeah, but I think any reasonable capacitance will be larger than the top load capacitance, and will load the coil. Say you want a 10,000:1 divider to get 500kV down to 50V. The 50V part has to be, say, 10pF, so the 500kV part is 10pF/10,000. So you'd need a 100 of 0.1 pF capacitors in series? And what would those look like? Is this even available.

I think, ultimately, a good capacitive e-field probe is the way to go. The probe is 1 plate (which effectively sits at "ground" potential) and the top load is the other plate of the capacitor.

Easy to calibrate over frequency by any of a variety of means

.