[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] VDG [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VDG

On 2/24/18 4:24 PM, doug wrote:
Traditional cutting torch will not cut SS.
Doug

My email got cutoff (hit send too quick)- but to explain, a traditional cutting torch relies on getting the metal hot, then blasting it with pure oxygen, which "burns" the metal away - with steel, it burns quite nicely. Stainless, on the other hand, doesn't burn as well.

I will confess that I've not tried to cut SS with a torch, since I had a plasma cutter handy, and I preferred that for cutting just about anything. However, it would seem that as long as you were cutting something reasonably thin, that a standard torch would cut it - SS, after all, is mostly iron, with added nickel and chromium. On the other hand, the products of combustion for nickel and chromium are probably pretty icky.

The plas cutter also makes a much, much cleaner cut.

-----Original Message----- From: jimlux Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2018 12:55 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: [TCML] VDG