[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] VDG [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] VDG

On 2/24/18 7:00 AM, Troy wrote:
Hi VDG'ers,

How do you guys make holes in your bowls? I've made a number of VDGs over the years using various approaches but the problem I always have is making a hole in the top dome. There are some alternative approaches that don't require the top roller to actually be inside the sphere, but I prefer my column to extend up into the top sphere. For my next VDG I'm planning on using a stainless steel garden gazing globe. I have one that's about 40cm in diameter and can get them up to 100cm in diameter. It's very thin stainless steel I believe but stainless is really difficult to cut through cleanly. I was considering trying a plasma cutter to do it. Any thoughts on how that might work or other suggestions?

It depends on the thickness of the material. A plasma cutter is certainly a good way.

A really sharp drill bit to get a starting hole, and then a power nibbler to cut in a circle.

A "circle cutter" in a drill press (has a horizontal bar that holds a cutter at a specified radius).