[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Death Ray? [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Death Ray?

On 2/23/18 9:59 AM, Andrew Robinson wrote:
The person you speak of in the show building the coil is Aron Koscho. He owns and operates aTTi (www.appliedteslatech.com) as well as what was KVA effects (www.teslacoil.com) for you older guys out there. Aron has been part of the tesla community for years and has intentionally stepped away from the list and the hobbiest side of coiling. He actually used to moderate the list years ago. He is a very close friend of mine and we have had multiple discussions concerning the show. He was approached a while ago to do that show and actually turned down Discovery several times for a lot of the reasons you guys have already mentioned. Yes, I agree (as does Aron), there are several portions of the show that are cringe worthy. At the end of the day, Discovery needed to introduce some drama into the show which is why there are so many cringy scenes. We should all be grateful though. Aron stood by his guns during the production process and flat out refused multiple times to say certain things on camera that were just flat out lies or too on the conspiracy theory side of things. While yes, there were LOTS of cringy scenes that any veteran tesla people on here should have been able to immediately point out as fake, it could have gone a LOT worse if Aron had let Discovery do the REAL conspiracy theory show they wanted to do. So be thankful lol.

Oh my..

And for a bit of background about how this all works, business wise - Discovery is sort of an umbrella. An individual independent producer comes up with a concept for a show, and then goes to Discovery to pitch it. If Discovery says "yeah, that looks like it will allow us to sell ads on it", then they tell the producer, we'll fund $X. The producer then goes out and puts together a team with a budget of $X to make the show. Discovery is really more of the "distribution channel"

So the individual shows, although under the Discovery Channel banner, are actually the brainchild (or brain-something) of various smaller production companies.

You can go to imdb and find out
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt7965956/

It was produced by Sirens Media
http://sirensmedia.com/
"In addition to the countless hours of lifestyle and docu-soap programming, Sirens Media has focused on and produced hundreds of episodes of crime & investigation television for channels"

Yes folks, Sirens also did "real housewives of New Jersey"

So, one of the folks listed as a producer had the idea and got the funding, either from Sirens or Discovery.

The "Field Producer" are the people who actually get the work done on set, etc.

IMDB also gives Aron's other good work (and Cameron Prince, Justin Hays, and Orlando Holmes as well, who have been on the TCML from time to time)

Apparently he was on White Rabbit Project, which looks like a spin-off of Mythbusters

he's done a bunch of good stuff.

PS, Some good did come of the show. The documents from the archive (while behind the scenes were already preselected) were in fact never before published. Aron, Cameron, and the Discovery are currently the only individuals from the public currently known have copies of those documents. Of course they don't say anything useful, but still pretty neat. I need to remind Aron again to send me the PDF's he has of the documents, including the ones that were not shared on the TV show!

Cheers