[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Bleeder resistor for Maxwell cap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Bleeder resistor for Maxwell cap

Hi Dennis,

The specs for a bleeder resistor are anything but critical.  Was your cap
.003 uF or .03uF?  I use a .04uF cap.  I constructed a bleeder out
of thirty nine 2.0Meg 1/4W resistors (78Meg total).  I calculated that with
my .04uF cap, the time constant (R*C) is 3.2 sec.  Five times the time
constant is generally regarded as how long it takes to completely discharge
the cap.  My bleeder is pictured here, 5th photo from the top:
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/sync_gap.htm
1/4W resistors are normally not recommended for HV, but having so many in
series keeps the voltage per resistor to acceptable limits.  The important
thing is to make sure that it's soundly constructed and wired to the cap.
78 Meg is higher than most multimeters can read so you need to be creative
in verifying that sub-sections of the series chain are intact, thereby
implying that the entire chain is wired intact.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>