[Home][2018 Index] Re: [TCML] Max Voltage Gain In a Tertiary Coil [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Max Voltage Gain In a Tertiary Coil

Antonio,
I understand the first part of what you are saying with the energy transfer
(which I understand to come from the very tight coupling of L1 and L2).

However, when we look back several decades at what Tesla Coil hobbyist did
from the time of Tesla's death until the 70's or 80's, many of the
secondary coils had horrible aspect ratios (small diameter and VERY tall,
which we now call candlesticks). The result was poor performance, and were
designed completely opposite of Tesla's CSN coils with with aspect ratios
of 1:1 or 1:2. Today we seem to have settle on 1:3 - 1:4 for our coils. Is
that better, or a compromise?

But to your statement, " Without losses considered the maximum output
voltage with two or three coils, with the same primary capacitor and total
load capacitance, is the same." I have to ask, if that is true, then how
many turns of wire is needed on the final resonator (L2 or L3)? How much
inductance is needed in any coil to produce high voltage? As a community I
think we have settled on 1,000 turns (+/- 200 turns).

So if we continue to stick to these aspect ratios and parameters and employ
them in the typical magnifier setup, then yes, I would expect performance
to be similar. But I believe with magnifiers (L1, L2, and L3) can and
SHOULD be constructed to 1:1 aspect ratios. I realize you have a LOT of
real world magnifier experience...I hope to get there too some day!

Here is an interesting video. That green pole on the left is the secondary!
Now I believe this one was constructed for this experiment and not made to
produce the normal streamers...but still interesting.
https://youtu.be/A6Tc6Hj4cas?t=1m37s

Thanks,
~Dan
Kansas City area