[Home][2016 Index] Re: [TCML] Power Factor Correction [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Power Factor Correction

Hi Ron,

I remember trying to meter the mains current with my coil running and try
various PFC cap values, looking for the lowest drawn current.
Unfortunately, particularly when using a static spark gap, the mains
current varies wildly from moment to moment.  I was utterly unable to
experimentally determine if one value was better than another, although it
was clear that current with a PFC cap was lower than without.   I think the
takeaway is that the optimal value is by no means critical, as if you were
trying to hit some kind of resonance.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA