Sent: Wednesday, January 29, 2014 12:22 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Winder

Very nice winder! Many professional winders pull the wire off the end of the spool to avoid the large angular momentum of the rotating spool. That way, if
you have to stop the spool doesn't keep turning and make a big tangle or
kinks, and doesn't break the wire when you start it. This only works for wire sizes around 20 and smaller. It works better if you put a sleeve made from an
old pair of sweatpants around the spool to provide a little friction.  It
should extend about three inches above the spool. I worked in a plant where we wound TV flyback xfmrs with #39 wire (just barely visible) and this was the
scheme our winders used.

I hadn't thought of doing that.  I would think that you would tend to get
kinks in the wire as it twists around, but I suppose that wouldn't be too
hard to prevent.

Like I mentioned in my last post, I kind of designed the spool holder off my
wire feed MIG welder, where it has a spring under tension to prevent the spool from running away. I also accelerate and decelerate in code, so there are no
sudden changes in momentum.

perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'