[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Winder [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil Winder

> Very nice winder!  Many professional winders pull the wire off the end of the
> spool to avoid the large angular momentum of the rotating spool.  That way, if
> you have to stop the spool doesn't keep turning and make a big tangle or
> kinks, and doesn't break the wire when you start it.  This only works for wire
> sizes around 20 and smaller.  It works better if you put a sleeve made from an
> old pair of sweatpants around the spool to provide a little friction.  It
> should extend about three inches above the spool.  I worked in a plant where
> we wound TV flyback xfmrs with #39 wire (just barely visible) and this was the
> scheme our winders used.

I hadn't thought of doing that.  I would think that you would tend to get
kinks in the wire as it twists around, but I suppose that wouldn't be too
hard to prevent.

Like I mentioned in my last post, I kind of designed the spool holder off my
wire feed MIG welder, where it has a spring under tension to prevent the spool
from running away.  I also accelerate and decelerate in code, so there are no
sudden changes in momentum.

perl -e 's==UBER?=+y[:-o]}(;->\n{q-yp-y+k}?print:??;-p#)'