Sent: Monday, February 17, 2014 7:18 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Joint pains with Tesla contact ?Myth

A quote from Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz in a recent post in regard to
contact with Tesla coil sparks.

"A common effect is pain at the joints, because there the resistance is
higher and most damage occurs."

Is that really true? To me the explanation is dubious. Consider these facts:

- Body resistance between two chest pads for defibrillation is around 50
ohms.
(This is a machine printout at defibrillation - personal best skin prep of
mine was 48 ohms)

- A TENS machine is an electrostimulating device that uses a current from 1
to 100mA to treat pain.
This is a mainstream machine used by physical therapists to treat pain
(including joints) - not to cause it.
www.kau.edu.sa/Files/0053044/Subjects/9b-TENS.doc

- RF diathermy is used in surgery for cutting tissue.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diathermy

- Shortwave diathermy has been used for joint problems, with or without
implanted metal hardware.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17017272

I find nothing about joint pains after serious DC shock or lightning
injuries.
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Electrical-Injuries-and-Lightning-Strikes.htmNowhere have I seen information about joint pains and current from DCthrough to 27mHz.I can find nothing that suggests that there is a higher resistance injoints. On the contrary, joint fluid is a conductive biological fluid andhas no impeding cell membranes.Consider the current from a tolerable Tesla coil spark that one uses forstunts. Is it really likely that significant tissue damage will occur acrossa 50 ohm body part. (excluding entry and exit points where current islocalized to a tiny point?Comments please (with references). Just like medical science, personalanecdote is not sufficient.PeterTesladownunder.com.