Re: [TCML] Plasmasonic DRSSTC - Commercial DRSSTC System

Dan,

Looks like nice stuff, but i have to express my concern over the MMC
design.

Im guessing those caps are rated for 500VAC RMS, which is roughly 700VAC
peak.  With the 4 in series, thats 2800Vpk AC rated.  Let me make an
assumption on operating frequency to be 75khz, giving this capacitor an
impedance of 1/(2*pi*75k*.28u) = 7.6 ohms.  The 2800V/7.6 ohms gives 370A
max primary current.

This sounds like enough amps to do the sparking that you need, if well
designed.  I guess im just suggesting you run the numbers for yourself to
be sure that MMC is rated for the intended long-term reliable use.  When
ive had capacitor failures (by assuming the DC rating of the caps to be the
useful AC peak rating) id get about 40 hours of use before some caps would
fail catastrophically.  While a cap loses capacitance to self-healing, the
voltage across it goes up higher than the rest of the caps in the string,
in essense a positive feedback runaway condition.  This meant id usually
lose 1 cap at a time, while the rest of them are significantly weakened,
just not dead yet.

Steve